Thursday, April 8, 2010

April 1-8, 2010

April 1-8
Holy have I been busy!

I really am enjoying my time here still. Classes are going well and the kids seem to like me. The scheduling sucks because it’s about 5 hours spread throughout an 11 hour day but I can’t complain too much because I have seen worse schedules than the way mine is set up. I’m still finding a few things unsettling like when the kids first start out in the school they cry for a couple weeks (EVERY DAY) because they miss their moms and dads. When the kids need to pee during class they don’t go to the washroom, they go into a bucket that sits in a corner of the room. The “aunty” will help them take their pants off and hold the bucket for them and they will go pee right there, in the middle of a lesson. I still turn my back when I see it because I feel so awkward. Oh and while I’m on this topic I’ll also add that when they DO use a washroom they will leave the door open. I went into the bathroom today and there was one of my students sitting on the can shouting TEACHER JU-JU! It’s weird… same with kids and their parents on the streets; there’s a type of pant that’s made for young kids with a giant slit in the crotch that stays open, this way when a kid needs to pee the parent can just pull them to the side of the sidewalk and squat them down to pee. WOW why didn’t we think of that! Ha ha ha. GROSS.
Sorry I got a little carried away…

So back to the school stuff. I have kind of learned that Jordan’s school doesn’t really care if the kids learn English or not; they are more of a daycare that offers to teach kids English under their care. The school doesn’t really want me to teach them English, they want me to play with the kids so that the kids will go home and tell their parents how much fun they had at the school and that they can’t wait to go back. That’s when the school starts to see $$ signs. Either way, it’s not a terrible gig for me because then all I really have to do is play, dance, and sing with the kids just to get paid.

I thought I would be able to save up some money while I’m here but I’m not so sure about that anymore. I have almost burned through my entire paycheck this month; granted a bunch of it has gone towards stuff for my home and things that I need for spring and summer, but still... I’m hoping I will be able to find a nice little balance soon, especially once I start to get private lessons going.

I guess aside from that nothing else has really changed. The weather is still rainy and cold split up every few days with a warm one. The traffic is still as crazy as ever. I have finished my first CD of Rosetta Stone though and have started my second one. As for speaking the language, it's still slow, but have found a proper teacher….we'll see how it goes. The food is the same old same old….oh except I did find a great breakfast place that sells baozi (steamed buns with stuff inside them). I buy a drink and two buns for three RMB. It's GREAT!

I guess I should mention that I learned too late in the day that they do celebrate April Fools Day. :-( I didn't get to play any tricks on anyone! And they don't celebrate Easter, however the school did get the kids to paint Easter eggs. I was in charge of explaining to two of my classes what Easter is all about. The kids thought it was funny that we hide chocolates and candies etc. for the kids to find. :-) I thought that was pretty cute.

Well, that is all for now. Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment