Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Jan 27, 2010





The first picture is The Hills Surrounding the School in the Village, Pic 2. is The Girl who Gave me a Happy New Years card, pic 3. isSchool Bus Driver, Frances, Eric. and Pic 4. is Me Holding a Plate Vegetable :)


January 20, 2010

I'm not sure if I mentioned this yet or not, but some of the differences if anyone is interested are:

  • There are a few squatting toilets but most are the western style.
  • They use toilet paper for everything; paper towel in the bathrooms, napkins in the teachers lounge, to wipe the white boards off, etc…
  • For toilet paper they have packages that are a larger version of the to-go Kleenex's that we have.
  • Pretty much no one has a dryer, everyone hangs their clothes to dry.
  • The weather right now is really nice. It's not too hot or too cold; the summer is going to suck I think.
  • There are very few traffic lights. To cross a road you just look for an opening and start walking, the cars will drive around you; it's like playing a real version of Frogger.

I got to go to story land today and will now be in a play called the Apple Princess. I am the apple princess. The only thing is they don't have an English script, so they told me the gist of the play and now I have to write a make shift script. We'll see how it turns out.

Today, Brandy has decided she will not stay in China. She is going to go home. :-(


January 21, 2010

The script was good and we will rehearse it tomorrow in front of the group. Other than that I just went to the school and watched the other groups perform their plays. We started a dance for the new years party…I look like an idiot compared to the rest of the girls. They all have some sort of dance experience, and I don't; it'll be funny.


January 22, 2010

Today was much of the same thing. Go to the school watch plays and practice mine. Go home hang out for a bit, check emails and go to bed.


January 23, 2010

I went to a poor village outside of Wenzhou today to meet some kids and give them some presents. All the kids were really nice and very excited to get presents. I took some pictures to add to the blog as well, just for clarification on who the people are: Eric is the guy who is training the teachers how to act in the plays, Frances is the principal of the school I'm at, and the rest of the pictures are mainly kids from the village. For lunch it was a lot of new foods and we were eating with the head of school board or something like that so I had to try most of it. The tamest I think was fish jello; Mmmmm :-P not! I didn't eat too much. That was my first experience with squatting toilets that weren't in stalls… they have a short fence designed to hide your butt, however I'm much taller than them, needless to say I was showing off for them a bit. Once everything was said and done it was a really nice day and I quite enjoyed myself.


January 24-27, 2010

Just working at the school and watching the rehearsals, doing a bit of Chinese lessons at night but nothing too major. The weather has been rainy and chilly, I can't seem to figure out the heater in my room and have yet to be home at the same time as Frances to get her to help me out.

I presented a "demo" of my play to an audience on the 26th, it was just a 15 minute preview but it was fun.

Brandy left on the morning of the 27th. :-( I miss her already.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julia!! Very exciting to see your pictures!! You seem to be doing great, way to go! What do you do with a plate vegetable? You'll have to take us shopping in an Asian market when you get back - you can explain what everything is! Take care, miss you!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete